Thursday, June 10, 2010

Food- Fandangos


Fandangos-

97 Errol Street. North Melbourne.

Again drawn to the north.


Fandangos is deceiving, in size and in appearance, but not in quality.

This place is ‘cool’ and anyone who knows me would expect a certain profanity within that sentence. I’m choosing to refrain and keeping this simple.

Recommended by a very trendy friend I made my way to this tiny little shop as soon as I could, located two doors down from the equally pleasing Auction Rooms.

At first I was sceptical. Auction Rooms two doors down? How tempting to go back to something I knew was right, something safe.

Safe is risky my friends. You’re going to hear this a lot from me.

This shop could go unnoticed if you didn’t know what you were looking for. Best sign- the green, white and orange streamers flowing down from the front door like a waterfall at its peak, constantly moving with the influx of customers.

Upon entering this cafĂ©, you might as well be walking into your grandma’s house circa 1959. Heavy floral curtains draping across the front window compliment the rustic terracotta and deep brown tiles of the exterior. The chairs outside are possibly the only clue that this is a place of business- the business that is eating.

Gran’s house continues within, with 60’s style tables and chairs, bookshelves containing random ornaments and lots of cute Tupperware. I’m using the literal definition of cute here. (Ugly but interesting.)

My first thoughts upon entering this place- Seriously, only four tables? How are these guys making any money? But no, my eyes are deceived as I'm quickly greeted by the friendly staff and led through the kitchen, passed the smiling chefs and into a very small, but very quaint brick courtyard.

Again this area only seats a few people, but the staff are very welcoming and promising to squeeze you in, which always makes you feel good. A low brick wall encloses each of the tables that are surrounded by herb pots. It’s your own little oasis.

Organic coffee at Fandangos is super tasty. Creamy with acidic flavours and bitter end notes. Just the way I like it.

What I want to rave about- Food food food. I must come back to make my way through all the menu choices, and in turn, through my bathroom scales.

Poached eggs on toasted pide’ with cooked spinach, topped with a beetroot and fetta mash. You can taste the colour of this dish. Vibrant. Fresh. Bursting with goodness.

Pancakes with honeyed cream cheese, strawberries and banana. Honey. I’m hooked. I did not want to share this with anyone.

French toast with bacon, apple puree and maple syrup. Oh my goodness. Sweet + savoury- its true what they say, opposites attract.

These guys know what they are doing. Serving sizes- ample. Flavours- a plethora to choose from. Service- as attentive as you’re mum when you’re sick!

Date rate: I rate… this date.
Coffee cure: top notch
Hangover happy: sober.drunk.munchies.sick.happy.
Price: Pancakes at ten a pop- no wonder this place draws crowds.


No comments:

Post a Comment