Saturday, November 27, 2010

Food- Milkwood



120 Nicholson St.
 Brunswick East. 3057


Another day that Brunswick calls- how I wish the time between visits was so much smaller.


Milkwood has been the topic of conversation between my friends for a few months now, not just for its wicked name but also for the alleged culinary delights on offer. I had been eagerly anticipating the day my loved up housemate would invite me on a Brunswick adventure. Finally that day arrived.


Driving past numerous cafe's, (Pope Joan the next on the list) I realized that Brunswick really is where it’s at. Maybe one day, if I can ever tear myself away from sunny Elwood, I’ll relocate.


The lovely Milkwood is perched on a seemingly lonely corner, distancing itself from both competitors, and as it would appear; car parks. In our dazed and hungry state, we couldn’t be further away.


One thing you should already know about the café’ society- patience is a virtue. You’re not the only person in Melbourne craving sweets, and certainly not the only hung over soul needing a bit of TLC. But let me tell you another thing, good things come to those who wait. Very good things.


Personally, I believe that the difference between a good café and an amazing one is attention to detail. For instance, as discussed, you always have to wait, but at Milkwood, the waiter reassured us that we would quickly get a table, and took our coffee order anyway. Before we knew it we were seated, followed by the arrival of my strong flat white. (time-ing). Coffee supreme- always a win in my mind.


So what’s the go with the quaint and country-style space that is Milkwood?


I loved the awkwardly cute retro potholders that reminded me of my childhood days at nana's place. You know the kind- white crochet enveloping the pot, dangling from the ceiling? I still find it rather amusing that everything uncool is returning with such vengeance, before we know it doilies and quilts will be back in. Oh wait, that’s awkward.


Everything here is laid out clean and simple, the walls are adorned with minimal pieces including a bookshelf laiden with rhubarb, apricot and berry preserves. Forget breakfast, I was two minutes away from grabbing a spoon and chowing down.


Other points go to the cool lighting and retro ceiling fan.There is also a small and cute cabinet display of strawberry shortcake-sweet looking muffins, banana bread and brownies. In a few words- this place is effortlessly rad.


Down to the important things- food: Ricotta pancakes with banana, coconut, vanilla bean syrup and yoghurt.These were 'tell the world' amazing. Deliciously good in so many ways- the pancake itself had a slight crunch, there was no doughy texture, just awesome goodness. I was uber impressed.


The ritual of finishing off my friends plate gave privy to warm cannellini beans, lemon and rosemary mash and sliced avocado on toast. Wow- where do I begin. I can only try...


Remember Willy Wonka when Violet indulges in gum that tastes like a roast? Well, I got to feel like Violet for the day. This was the best roast I had ever had, spread on toast.


Date rate: Farmhouse frolic -a win.

Hangover Happy: mmm mmm beans.

Coffee cure: I’d give this a 8/10

Price: Only had to borrow a 20 from the bank of Mikey

No comments:

Post a Comment