Saturday, April 24, 2010

Food- Wyton Cellars


Wyton Cellars Café

91 Kepler Street, Warrnambool 3280

Just for laughs.

The little class and reputation that Warrnambool has appears to have cumulated in the space that is The Wyton Cellar.

Searching for any sign of coffee appreciation within this town I was relieved to spot from a distance, the burgundy umbrellas emblazoned with the Genovese brand. This isn’t my favourite blend but it is up there, especially amongst the second wave of the coffee revolution and could possibly be Warrnambool’s ‘hottest’ offering.

As soon as we entered this little café, situated on one of the main streets of Warrnambool, we knew that we had picked a goodie. There was obviously a shared appreciation; as fellow business workers and the minority ‘trendy’ inhabitants of the town were seated with their Long Macs or espressos.

This café consists of one fairly large sized room with a central share table that stands quite high with bar stools, surrounded by smaller tables for two.

There is a large display counter offering freshly baked treats and home-style cooked meals. Polished wooden bookshelves house recipe books and there is a large wine display across the back wall with some impressive bottles on show.

Our hungry bellies pointed ourselves in the direction of an old school sausage roll with relish, along with a roast pumpkin and feta pasta dish. Both were delicious, as was my coffee.

The female staff members at Wyton were very friendly and obviously passionate about their food and service. Wyton is operated as a caterer for functions and events.

I felt very cosy in this cafe, as there was a good vibe that reminded me of one of my Melbourne favourites, The Emerald Hill Café in South Melbourne.

The following day we were more than happy to stroll back to Wyton to trial their breakfast. Shocked by the discovery that this hidden treasure did not have a breakfast menu, we contemplated the search for another, if possible adequate destination- luckily we were pointed in the direction of Wyton’s second café, only a few shops down the road.

Wyton 2 has a similar feel, with blackboards across the room proclaiming the days specials and upcoming tapas nights. The main service counter is set off with the ever so popular hanging light globe fittings which illuminated the most amazing looking savoury muffins I have seen in a while. There was a cute little booth with comfy cushions for us to plant ourselves down and enjoy our last few hours in this beloved town.

I decided to try something different this time, denying my tastebuds their usual egg cravings. I was well rewarded with roasted mushrooms on sourdough, with pesto, goat’s cheese, fresh spinach and roasted tomato.

Of course I digged in to Elisse's Bircher which was very good, with macadamias, dates and very tasty yoghurt.

A weekend in Warrnambool was ample time for me to appreciate everything that Melbourne has to offer including my bed, my teddy, my friends, my family, and my food. All jokes aside, the coast of Warrnambool is beautiful and a great spot to escape to. At least I know if I am ever stuck there again, I have Wyton to retreat to.

Date rate: if you can find a suitable date in Warrnambool, take them here.
Coffee cure: Hot, smooth and yum!
Price: Meals were $10 and ample servings at that.
Hangover happy: Wyton cellars 2 will have something to offer for the weary soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment