Monday, March 22, 2010

Fandom

What a relief to know I am not the only ‘caffeinated’ individual in this city.

On a recent breakfast adventure I stumbled upon an advertisement for Jeff Martins ‘Café Society’; a collection of 40 sketches (ink wash on paper) of some of Melbourne’s most renowned eateries.

I immediately gathered a group of friends insisting that this was an essential outing to expand our cultural and artistic minds.

Appropriately located in amongst the hustle and bustle of Chapel St, South Yarra, this exhibition features some of Melbourne’s best cafes including Mart, The Galleon, Lawson’s Grove, Kanteen and my neighbour; Jerry’s.

 Well into the second week of the exhibition, the Gould Gallery on Toorak road was packed with individuals from all different walks of life who had come together on one common ground; their love for coffee, whether it be a Long Mac, Skinny latte or espresso.

While some sketches are more elaborate than others, Martin does an extremely good job at portraying the visuals and ambience of each café. 

As expected, my top café sketches were already sold- presumably bought by the owners of the cafes. I must however admit the $1500 price tag was a stab to my wallets heart. Looks like my savings account containing $20 was never going to make the cut.

Perhaps one day I will be able to afford a beautiful piece of art for my apartment… but in the mean time, there is always breakfast.

Money well spent I say.

‘Café Society’ runs from the 13th March - 27th March.

Gould Gallery: 270 Toorak Road South Yarra VIC 3141 PH: 03 9827 8482


No comments:

Post a Comment